For most dog owners their canine companions are like their children, part of the family. So, based on this sentiment, and a study carried out by the Kennel Club in the United Kingdom (one of the most renowned and respected organisations concerned with the welfare of dogs) Nissan have developed a groundbreaking and truly innovative concept car specifically for dog owners by modifying the X-Trail to create the Nissan X-Trail 4Dogs.
“It’s clear from the research that for dog owners, dogs are a key part of the family. Ensuring their pet’s needs are catered for is often just as important as making sure the children are comfortable and happy. The Nissan X-Trail is a car that’s built for family adventures, and the X-Trail 4Dogs concept takes that to the next level,” explained chief marketing manager of X-Trail, Ryan Gains.
Traditionally, the X-Trail has been dubbed the family adventure vehicle, and what is a family adventure without the fur children? But often the aftermath of an outing with the dogs leaves nothing but car-nage. Anyone who has ever taken their dogs out knows that while there is plenty of fun to be had, there is also plenty of mess to be cleaned up in the car afterwards. Most dog owners are all too familiar with the endless hours spent scrubbing mud off the seats, plucking dog hairs out of the carpet and upholstery, the lingering smell of wet dog and muddy pawprints that redecorate the entire interior of your newly cleaned car. That was until the Nissan X-Trail 4Dogs, that is.
The Nissan X-Trail 4Dogs is the ‘pawfect’ vehicle for pooch parents. It has been specially designed with every creature comfort in mind by converting the boot space into a 445 litre heavenly haven for your furry friends with features that include:
- A shower extension that gives you 360° cleaning capacity
- A doggy dryer that drys wet fur with a stream of warm air.
- A pullout ramp that allows your pooch to trot up and into the kitted out cargo area that means no more heavy lifting or getting dirty yourself.
- Once in the car, a warm air system in the boot provides further drying for your doggy.
- Upholstered in luxurious wipe-clean leather, the entire boot compartment converts into the ultimate dog bed kitted out with a non-spill water bowl and automated food dispenser.
- As with all Nissan vehicles, passenger safety is a key feature, and your canine is no exception. There are clip on harness hooks for your peace of mind and a dog guard.
- Smart storage solutions have also been included with the shower and dryer attachments being stored in a pullout utility drawer and several side compartment for the storage of leads, treats and toys.
- No Nissan would be complete without the latest tech, and the X-Tail 4Dogs is no different. Kitted out with a doggy-cam that has been integrated into the NissanConnect infotainment system, you and your dog can see and hear each other via the 7” dashboard display at the front and the 10” LCD screen in the back.
Always practical, Nissan has also designed this vehicle so that the dog bed, water bowl and food dispenser can be removed when you are not travelling with your dog in transit so that you have all the boot space you need for day to day life.
This is just a concept car at this stage, and we might wait quite some time for it to come to South Africa, but it is reassuring for dog owners to know that someone out there values their canine kids as much as they do and that somewhere on the horizon this kind of vehicle might become a reality.